Swimming is different from many other sports in that many volunteers are needed to run a successful swim meet. Because of this, the Homestead Hurricanes require every family to volunteer their time to help at the meets and behind the scenes.
Get Involved, Support Your Team & make new friends!
- Each family is expected to work a minimum of FOUR VOLUNTEER POINTS PER SWIMMER TO A MAXIMUM OF EIGHT POINTS. These can be worked at any dual/tri meets or special events. Some shifts and jobs are worth more points then others.
- Every family must work at least ONE EXTRA VOLUNTEER SHIFT AT PRE-LIMS and CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS per swimmer if your child is swimming those meets.
- Volunteer sign up will be conducted as part of the annual registration.
- Families will not be permitted to sign up for two shifts during the same time slot. However, families may sign up for consecutive shifts at the same meet.
- Once you sign up for a volunteer shift, YOU are responsible for satisfying that volunteer shift. DO NOT call the Parent Reps or Volunteer Coordinator to ask to be released from your volunteer shift. THEY WILL NOT RELEASE YOU FROM THE ASSIGNED SHIFT.
- If you cannot work the shifts that you selected, it is YOUR OBLIGATION to find someone else to cover your shift. It is not the responsibility of the Parent Reps or Volunteer Coordinator to make shift changes for you. You must find someone to cover your assigned shift. Once you do so, you must notify the Volunteer Coordinator in writing of the change prior to the event.
- Volunteer shift assignments for the season will be posted on the swim team web site. Weekly volunteer assignments will be posted on the team website and on the bulletin board at the swimming pool. Please check your volunteer assignments before the season starts. Also, check before the meet for any changes to your shift assignment.
- Descriptions of the volunteer job duties are posted on the swim team web site. You will be expected to be familiar with and fulfill ALL of the duties for your volunteer assignment. You will also be expected to cover the shift for the entire period of time.
- Volunteers should check in at the volunteer check-in table on the morning of the swim meet between 6:30 am and 8:00 am. Please check off your name on the volunteer shift assignment schedule and claim your name tag.
- Please pay attention to any announcements during meets regarding shift assignments and volunteers needed.
- Please report to your shift assignment five (5) minutes before the start of your shift assignment. Volunteers should check-in with the appropriate committee head prior to the start of their shift.
- Timers, stroke judges,
and runners report directly to the Timing/Stroke Judge Committee Head.
- Heating volunteers report directly to the Heating Committee Head.
- Scorers report directly to the Scoring Committee Head at the scoring table.
- Snack Bar volunteers report directly to the Snack Bar Committee Heads.
- Hospitality volunteers report to the Hospitality Committee Head.
- Meet set-up and take-down volunteers report directly to the Parent Reps
- Occasionally an event has to be canceled and rescheduled due to adverse weather conditions. If you were scheduled to volunteer at an event which is canceled due to weather, you will be assigned to volunteer at the re-scheduled event.
If you do not know where to report for your assignment, please ask!